Our most important advice is on how to survive the beach. After all, it’s why people come to the island, right? Follow these simple tips.
• Florida and Alabama public beach areas and state parks do not allow alcohol. A cooler’s fine, though.
Perdido Key Dog Park on River Road. The Location is 14484 River Rd. Just east of La Serena Condos (See Map Below)
• No pets on the Gulf beach in Florida and Alabama, so leave your Frisbee-catching collie at home. This goes for the state parks. Sorry, Fido.
• It’s March and maybe not quite sunbathing temperature, but even though it’s still cool, don’t let that sun fool you. You can get burned. So, check the local ultra violet index and go with a high SPF sunscreen, especially on your beak.
• The official mantra along Perdido Key is “leave your footprints.” If you need a translation: take with you what you came with when it comes to the keeping the beach clean.
• Watch out for marine life.
— Purple flag flying means dangerous marine life, which typically indicates stinging jellyfish or man of war.
— Don’t swim at dusk or at dawn.
— When you dip into the Gulf of Mexico at high noon, don’t wear shiny jewelry, avoid bright bathing suits and keep the Old Spice or Hi Karate to a minimum, bro.
• Heed the colored flags whipping in the wind. Follow it or you’ll get swept out to Honduras. Green means surf is calm; yellow means use caution; red means stay out of the water. Now, if you do get swept out, simply swim parallel to the beach until you’re out of the rip current, then swim back to shore.
More on what the flags mean.
Signs of heat exhaustion, heat stroke.
How to avoid or escape deadly rip currents
• When if comes to lifeguards, Johnson’s Beach in Perdido Key has a Florida lifeguard station, but the public access entrances do not have a lifeguard, nor does Perdido Key East or West. Romar Beach and Gulf Shores Public Beach do have lifeguard stations.
Local Real Estate Searches
Nearby Waterfront Home Searches
Nearby Waterfront Lot Searches
About Chuck Barnes:
Veteran Agent (18+ years with a National Franchise) working for Buyers and Sellers in the Orange Beach, Gulf Shores and Perdido Key/Pensacola Markets.
Loves All Watersports and there’s nothing better than Family Time in the Water
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-analytics||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Analytics".|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-functional||11 months||The cookie is set by GDPR cookie consent to record the user consent for the cookies in the category "Functional".|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-necessary||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookies is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Necessary".|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-others||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Other.|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-performance||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Performance".|